No7 Lift and Luminate Foundation has become my summer makeup obsession. No7 (sometimes called Boots) is a UK-based drugstore beauty brand that has recently become available in the USA. If you keep your eyes peeled, sometimes you can find a Target, Ulta, or Walgreens with […]
Tag: beauty buys
Bobbi Brown is one of the makeup queens of the century: her luxury products and feature-enhancing techniques defined my beauty routine as a young woman. Bobbi Brown makes makeup for every skin tone and skin type, and her lipsticks are no exception. For Christmas, my […]
Some makeup products seem to stand the test of time. Beauty bloggers and vloggers praise these items as their holy grail products, and fashion magazines tell us that they are must-haves. I’ve tried a handful of these products, and I’m here to give you the verdict on whether or not they are worth your cash.
- Nars Blush in “Orgasm” : This blush is a cult beauty buy if there ever was one; when I think “cult beauty,” I think of Nars Orgasm immediately. I had been eyeing this blush for a while, and during Sephora’s spring beauty sale I bought one for myself. The price isn’t too bad: it isn’t cheap, but it is comparable to most mainstream blushes. I was surprised when I first used it because it is not very pigmented, but this is actually part of what makes it so great. This blush gives a natural looking flush in a soft coral hue, with just a little bit of shimmer. It is a great blush for any look, and it is easy to apply even if you are a beginner. I use this blush very frequently.
- MAC Fix +: I have heard a lot about this product watching Youtube, and when I bought a MAC Fix + for myself I was surprised by how much I loved it. It is a lovely setting spray that makes your makeup look less powdery and more like skin, but I also love using it with eyeshadow. If you spray a little fix plus on your brush before dipping it into a shadow, it will intensify the eyeshadow’s pigmentation. It is perfect for applying light colored shadows or sparkly shadows to your lid. It makes your eyeshadow stand out, and it is a must have-for anybody who loves eye makeup.
- MAC Lipsticks: I was raised on MAC lipsticks, and they are a staple in my lipstick wardrobe. They are creamy and long-lasting, and they rarely smear or get on my teeth. They are great paired with MAC lip liners, or alone. MAC offers a variety of beautiful lipstick colors. Some of my favorites are Cyber and Creme de la Femme.
- Beauty Blender: I am a huge fan of the Beauty Blender, even though at first I thought it was a complete waste of money. $20 seems steep for a tiny sponge, but this tiny sponge applies foundation and concealer beautifully. I find that it really helps blend makeup into the skin, and it is versatile and easy to clean. In a recent post, I talked about the Beauty Blender and why I prefer it to a generic makeup sponge.
- Benefit Hoola Bronzer: The Benefit Hoola Bronzer is a more recent cult favorite, but I am a huge fan. It gives me a summer glow without making my fair skin look orange, and it can be used for contouring or to warm up my skin. The formula is smooth, not powdery or chalky. Sometimes I even use it in the crease of my eyelids on a light-makeup day. This versatile bronzer is just right.
- Maybelline Age Rewind: This drugstore concealer is one of my favorites. It is easy to apply, brightening, and inexpensive. I used to hear about it very frequently on the internet, and I am super glad I decided to try it out. It is my favorite concealer, even when compared with more expensive brands.
- Maybelline Great Lash Mascara: This mascara has a small wand that can easily access any lash. I purchased it in “very black,” and the dark color did make my lashes stand out. However, I didn’t find it to be particularly lengthening or volumizing, and it it made my eyelashes dry, so I couldn’t re-apply mascara later in the day.
March was a great month (Spring Break, warm weather, Easter, what’s not to like?) Over the past month, there are a few products that have stood out as exceptional and unique. First of all, I’ve been loving the Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer. This concealer gets […]