Concealer is my most-loved makeup staple. I’ve tried so many over the years, and I’ve finally landed on a few favorites. Summer often brings light makeup days, so it is the perfect season for an easy wash of concealer and flip flops. However, I still […]
NYX is one of the trendiest drugstore brands, with some great products. While I can’t advocate for the whole line, there are a few gems (the lip liners are amazing). I tried the NYX Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator in the shade Sunbeam, which didn’t really impress […]
Sophia Amoruso, founder the fashion phenomenon www.nastygal.com, lends advice and inspiration to young women in her book #Girlboss. The book chronicles Nasty Gal’s journey from ebay store to independent enterprise, as well as Sophia’s journey from renegade to CEO. The book is full of anecdotes and humor, but also tips for running a company (and for running your life). #Girlboss encourages creativity and hard work, and for any ambitious young woman this book is a handbook for success.
10 Reasons to Read #GirlBoss by Sophia Amoruso
- It will make you laugh: I tend to stay away from the business section at the bookstore, but don’t be afraid: #Girlboss is far from boring. Sophia is humorous and clever, and her unique style makes the book as entertaining as it is useful.
- It encourages you to pursue business, even if you aren’t a math genius: The possibility of a career in business frightened me for many years, because math wasn’t my strongest subject. Sophia’s story highlights the fact that you don’t have to be a math star to build a great company.
- It teaches you about financial responsibility: Sophia is the epitome of cool, so when she tells you that “money looks better in the bank than on your feet,” you are more likely to believe it than when Mom says so. Even if you aren’t planning on founding a major company, Sophia’s advice about money management is applicable to any lifestyle.
- It illustrates that you don’t have to be conventional to be successful: It often seems like the path to success is lined with straight A’s and diplomas, but Sophia’s story reveals otherwise.
- It encourages creativity in daily life: Sophia explains that her first creative act was putting together an outfit. She acknowledges the art of fashion, and encourages women to find opportunities to be creative on a regular basis (whether that is through fashion or otherwise).
- It is inspiring: Sophia’s story is that of a young, reckless, and misguided girl who found her passion when she started Nasty Gal Vintage. She went from dumpster diving to Forbes magazine, defying all odds to live out a dream. Her story alone is inspiring, but Sophia’s dedication to encouraging other #Girlbosses makes the book even more moving.
- It is well-written: #Girlboss reads like a conversation with Sophia Amoruso. Every sentence ripples with the effects of Sophia’s voice. The book is equal parts humour and straight-talk, but it shines with Sophia’s personality and creativity.
- It provides information about the fashion industry: Are you interested in working in fashion? Sophia’s book provides a glimpse into the world of fashion, which isn’t always like The Devil Wears Prada. Her insight and expertise is useful for anybody seeking employment in the fashion industry.
- It appeals to misfits: Fashion and beauty might seem like a mainstream girl’s world, but Sophia (the self-proclaimed “antifashion”) demonstrates how feeling like the odd-man-out might be your ticket to success.
- It is applicable to any career: Sophia gives straight-talk advice about how to land a job and make the most out of an unfortunate situation. Her positivity and honesty underscores the text, but she also provides helpful tips (such as interview DOs and DONT’s) that are applicable to any line of work.
Foundation is one of my everyday essentials: even if I skip on everything else, I like to put on a Tinted Moisturizer or BB Cream with an SPF in it to moisturize, protect, and perfect my skin. However, finding the right foundation can be a […]